Free or Low Cost Internet Options
Internet Essentials Free to New Customers: New customers will receive 60 days of complimentary Internet Essentials service, which is normally available to all qualified low-income households for $9.95/month.
Additionally, for all new and existing Internet Essentials customers, the speed of the program’s Internet service was increased to 25 Mbps downstream and 3 Mbps upstream. Visit their website for more information or call 1-855-846-8376.
Getting Families Connected - Services by County
- The Delaware Department of Education has compiled a list of resources that are available to help Delaware families connect to the internet during the 2020-21 school year. Services are continually updated so families should contact providers directly for more information, including potential changes. Download
- Xfinity WiFi's Free For Everyone: Xfinity WiFi hotspots located in businesses and outdoor locations across the country will be available to anyone who needs them for free – including non-Xfinity Internet subscribers. Find a hotspot near you!
- New Castle County Launches Free WiFi Hotspots: New Castle County announced WiFi hotspots at various locations in the county to help those without internet access at home. The sites are at county facilities, parks, and libraries in Wilmington, New Castle, Middletown, Bear, and Newark. Find a hotspot near you!
- City of Wilmington Launches Free WiFi Hotspots: Wi-Fi under the "City of Wilmington" network can be accessed in parking lots at:
- 76ers Fieldhouse, 401 Garasches Lane.
- Kingswood Community Center, 2300 Bowers St.
- Teen Warehouse, 1121 Thatcher St.
- William "Hicks" Anderson Community Center, 501 N. Madison St.
- People’s Settlement Association, 408 E. Eighth St.
Students are asked to practice social distancing at the hot spots or remain in their cars
Mobile Internet Options
- Many cell phone service providers offer the option to have your phone act as a "hot spot" for internet access. Please contact your cell phone service provider for more information about this option.
Cell Phone & Internet Service Provider Updates
- T-Mobile: T-Mobile customers who have plans with data will automatically have unlimited smartphone data through May 13, T-Mobile postpaid and Metro customers on plans with HotSpot data can add 20GB (10 GB / month for two months) of Smartphone Mobile HotSpot at no extra charge, and giving Lifeline partners extra free LTE data each month. Learn more.
- AT&T: AT&T is offering 60 days of free unlimited data on hotspots or tablets, with AccessMyLan for content filtering, and opening up its public WiFi hotspots for anyone to use for free. Learn more.
- Verizon: Verizon is adding 15 GB of data across nearly all of their plans, to be used between 03/25/2020 and 04/30/2020, and offering free international long-distance calling to countries identified by the Center for Disease Control as level 3 impacted by COVID-19. Learn more.
- Verizon Wireless: Verizon Wireless is adding 15 GB of high-speed data for wireless consumer and small business customers, waiving two months of internet and voice service charges for current Lifeline customers, and offering new affordable internet option for low-income households. Learn more.
- Sprint: Sprint is providing unlimited data for 60 days to customers with metered data plans (effective 3/18) and giving 20 GB of free mobile hotspot to customers with hotspot-capable devices (effective 3/18). Learn more.