• Teaching in Delaware

    Prospective educators looking to start a career in Delaware are required to complete the teaching certification process set by the Delaware Department of Education.

    Delaware requires that all educators be licensed and certified or hold a permit in order to provide services to students. The State of Delaware License & Certification Office works with educators and their hiring agency to ensure that educators hold the appropriate credentials for their area of employment.

    If you have questions, please contact the Christina School District Human Resources Department at human.resources@christina.k12.de.us or call (302) 552-2600.


    General License Types

    Delaware defines "License" as a credential that authorizes the holder to engage in the practice for which the license is issued.  A Delaware educator holds only one license; however, the license type depends on experience as outlined below.

    • Initial License: If you are a brand new educator or have more than one year but less than four years of licensed teaching experience, you will need to apply for an Initial License. 
    • Continuing License: If you have over four years of licensed teaching experience, you should apply for a Continuing License.
    • Advanced License: If you have received National Board for Professional Teaching Standards certification, you should apply for an Advanced License.


    A Delaware educator can hold multiple certificates to certify their education in a specific area of expertise. The certificate types are detailed below.