Message from Superintendent Dan Shelton, Ed.D.
Dear Christina Staff,
Christina School District remains committed to a safe and successful school year. We understand our staff and families want to know when and how the district will determine it is safe to return to school, what safety measures will be in place to protect everyone, and what options are available for students. We appreciate that you have been asked to teach and work with students in an entirely new way and we know that our staff and families have been frustrated by the reliance on technology that is not always working perfectly and in some cases, has not yet arrived.
We cannot thank you enough for your positive energy when you are in front of your students and your grace and flexibility with our parents and families as they work through this difficult situation. Most of all I truly want to thank our teachers and staff who have worked to build creative ways to engage our students. It is not going without notice that we are working harder than ever and potentially not seeing the results that we want yet, but the investment will pay off as we return to levels of in-person instruction and we are able to incorporate some of our historically used and successful teaching methods with the kids in front of us.
Here are a few updates regarding our progress toward reopening our schools.
Academics & Equity
· We are continuing to contact families to assess their technology and academic needs.
· Currently planning the design for Hybrid learning. Parent survey will be sent next week.
· CSD Virtual Academy has 1700 students enrolled (read more).
· Special Population: Maintaining correct levels of appropriate PPE. Creating protocols for families to prepare their child for in-person instruction. Implementing proven mitigating strategies.
Health and Wellness
· Christina staff completed health and safety training. Staff will be COVID tested monthly for monitoring of the Coronavirus. COVID-19 tests are available for all CSD students at four locations.
· October 8, Glasgow High School, October 9, Kirk Middle School
· October 12, Drew Educational Support Center, October 13, Newark High School
· Registration information will be shared as soon as it becomes available from New Castle County. Testing is scheduled for 2:30PM - 7:00PM.
Operations & Services
· Technology: Chromebooks are being distributed as they come in. Hundreds of hotspots and cameras are in and will be circulated (read more).
· Meals: We are providing FREE meals to children 18 and younger – 21 curbside sites and 21 bus stop sites (read more).
· Transportation: We are working on routes based on current students enrolled. Routes will be adjusted based on Virtual Academy enrollment, updated car rider and before/aftercare information, and Hybrid learning cohorts.
· Facilities: We have invested significantly in our HVAC equipment and sanitizing/disinfectant supplies for the health and safety of staff and students. Nurse isolation rooms are being updated. Additional HEPA air purifiers are being installed throughout the district.
Athletics & Extra-Curricular Activities
· DIAA and State Board of Education approved a return to play for fall athletics,
· The Christina School District Return to Play Safety Briefing will be held, Wednesday, September 30, 6:30 - 7:30PM. The link to this meeting along with more details will be emailed to parents. Students and their families who intend to play a fall sport must attend this Briefing . Information will be presented on the protocols the District and coaches will utilize to keep participants safe while returning to athletics. Athletic directors and coaches will be available for a virtual Q&A after the presentation.
· Christina created a Proposal for Return to Athletics (read more).
· Extracurricular activities including bands, orchestra, choirs, and clubs are also working on plans to return.
We indicated that we would be surveying parents and guardians again next week. In order for us to finalize our Return to School Hybrid Plan, we need to better understand our families intentions. Understanding their intention will help with a smooth transition. A link to the survey will be sent to parents later this week.
Please visit our website, https://www.christinak12.org/reopening for more information about our learning options, safety protocols, and our other plans to successfully and safely welcome back students to our campuses. Questions, please email us at email@example.com.
Thank you for your ongoing support.
Dr. Dan Shelton
Christina School District