- Christina School District
Support Our Students
Dear Christina School District Families,
As we continue to navigate challenging times as a result of the coronavirus, the health and safety of our students, faculty and school community are paramount. We understand the hardship that many of our families may be facing, particularly for an extended period and we hope this email finds you doing well as we all continue to adjust to new norms and conditions during this complicated time.
I have information to share that is particularly significant to students and families in Christina School District. Albeit untimely, there is a lot at stake. To ensure Christina can prepare our students for the best opportunities for learning, the district will hold an operating and capital referendum vote on Tuesday, June 9, 2020. We need your support! We’re counting on you to help us spread the word and unite our school community to get out and vote.
We maximize every dollar to offer an exceptional education for our students. Christina families see the difference we make not only in our classrooms but in our daily operations as well. It is our obligation to be great stewards of the community’s children and tax dollars.
Here are some things you should know about the referendum:
- Our campaign theme is “Retain. Rebuild. Restore. Working together to create change.” Retain teaching and school support staff positions. Increase funding for students, school instructional budgets for books, classroom supplies and materials. Rebuild new learning environments and major building systems to better serve our students and support school safety and security initiatives with input from the community. Restore partnerships with staff, parents and the community. Address critical maintenance and facilities improvement needs and renovate key instructional areas.
- We take great pride in our ability to concentrate our funding where it will do the most good, while also being efficient with taxpayer dollars. Where will funding do the most good? The classroom – ensuring our students and teachers have everything they need to be successful.
- The Operating Referendum funds day-to-day operations to include teacher and staff salaries and benefits, supplies, utilities and more.
- The Capital Referendum funds updating and replacing major building systems and addressing critical maintenance and facilities challenges in Christina schools.
- For the average home in our school district, taxpayers are being asked to invest less than a dollar a day to be phased in over three years (29₵, 5₵, 5₵). The average assessed property value in our district is less than $65K.
On June 9th, I’m asking you to show your support by passing on this information to friends, family and network, and of course turning out to vote. Polls will be open from 7:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. and we’re asking for every member of your household (BOTH parents) to cast a vote.
Thank you for your continued partnership and patience as we strive to best meet the needs of our students. We are well aware that this moment in time will have a lasting impact on our students and we remain available to assist you through this unprecedented experience. The health and safety of our students and staff will continue to be our highest priority.
Should you have questions or want to get involved, we want to hear from you! Working together, we can create change for our students, staff and families as we Retain, Rebuild and Restore Christina. Additional information is available on our website (Christinak12.org/VoteYes), including detailed Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs). The principal at your student’s school is an excellent resource and the first point of contact. If your school leader is not able to help you, or you wish to ask me directly, please contact me or our Public Information Office at email@example.com.
Richard L. Gregg