Get involved! Downes has many opportunities for you to volunteer your time and talent or to donate supplies and other contributions. All adults including parents, grandparents, and other volunteers who wish to come to school to help, work, volunteer, go on field trips and/or spend time must complete the attached School Volunteer Enrollment Forms (see the document link in the right navigation or below) in order to volunteer in our schools.
SUPPORT ACTIVITIES DURING SCHOOL
- Book Fairs (Fall & Spring): Help set up, assist children with selections, cashier. Contact: Beth Walls
- Field Day: Help Ms. Hudson to plan, set up, work event, clean up
- Fun in the Sun: Help supervise moon bounces, serve snow cones and snacks. Contact: Beth Walls and Rebecca Kalmbach
- Library Media Center Assistance: Various duties; contact Mrs. Mary Coyle
- Mentoring in the Classrooms: Help with kids in need of one-on-one attention
- PBS (Positive Behavior Support): Staff the PBS Store or donate items.
Contact: Minda Watson
- Picture Days: Coordinator needed, Contact: Beth Walls.
- Reading ASSIST®: Help a struggling child learn to read
- Trek: Ms. Hudson needs volunteers during recess to help kids count laps and other Trek challenges. Sign up online to help out at Trek by clicking here. If you wish to be added to our Trek email list to find out up-to-the-minute Trek needs and cancellations, send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Walk to School Day: Contact Ms. Hudson
ASSIST WITH EXTRACURRICULAR EVENTS
- Dads' Breakfast: Organize and collect food, ticket sales, set up, clean up, work event. Contact Rachel Rodriguez at email@example.com.
- Heart Healthy Night: Contact Ms. Hudson
- Moms' Breakfast: Coordinator needed, Contact: Beth Walls
- Mitten Tree: Set up tree, collect donated items, wrap items. Contact Melinda Bertling.
- Reflections Art Program: Help organize, prepare flyer. Coordinator needed, Contact: Beth Walls
- Science Fair: Organize, flyers, ribbons, set up, clean up. Contact: Mr. Metcalfe
- Shark Pride Stride: Help with sponsorship and/or working the event. Coordinator needed, Contact: Beth Walls
- T-Shirt / Apparel Sale (Fall & Spring): Flyers, collect orders, distribute items ordered. Contact: Jill Swansen
- Teacher Appreciation Week: Decorate doors, help to plan the week, contact Kirn Latif
MAKE A DONATION
- Clothing: The Nurses' Office is in need of girls' and boys' items - coats, sweat pants, underwear (new); contact Stephanie Bonis
- Mitten Tree: Buy a gift for a family in need
- Money: Make an online donation to the PTA to support the events and activities at Downes via PayPal. Contact: Treasurer Ann Balback.
- PBS (Positive Behavior Support): Donate items to the PBS Store
SERVE ON A TEAM
- Homeroom Parent: One or two contact people are needed for each room to coordinate communications and activities with parents; contact Kirn Latif
- PTA Meetings: Evening meetings are held once a month. Dates and location are on the school website calendar.
- Site Council: Meets after school the third Tuesday of each month to develop, review, and evaluate school programs and budgets
- Title I Parent Council: Meetings monthly on Thursday evenings at Gauger-Cobbs Middle School.
- Wellness Council: Ms. Hudson is looking for people to join this advisory group which meets after school the third Wednesday of each month.