How to Help at Home
In addition to the classroom instruction at home, here are some ways to help your child at home.Read with your child (Read to him/her and listen to him/her read.)
Practice sight words with your child. Your child should be able to read and write these words.
- Beginning readers can work on fluency by rereading familiar texts several times.
- Engage your child in conversation about the story. Ask questions such as:
- Who are the characters and what are they like?
- What is the setting?
- What is the problem?
- Can you guess what will happen next?
- Can you tell me what happened in the beginning, middle, and end of the story?)
Practice addition facts, and then subtraction facts when ready.
Check your child’s homework for understanding and accuracy.
Visit Online Resources