The Henry M. Brader Elementary School opened in 1989.
Henry Milton Brader was born on February 23, 1915 in Laury’s Station, Pennsylvania. Mr. Brader earned a B.S. degree from Muhlenberg College in Allentown, Pennsylvania, and completed additional studies at Kutztown State College to earn his elementary education certificate. He earned a Bachelor of Arts Degree in school administration from Lehigh University and completed additional students at University of Delaware.
Mr. Brader started his career in education in 1937 by teaching in Schnecksville, Pennsylvania, followed by a teaching principal position at Kutztown School. In 1948, he moved to Newark, Delaware, and became supervisor of the Newark Elementary School. He was a well-known and well-respected educator in Newark for the next 30 years.
In 1958, he opened the Jennie Smith Elementary School, where he served as principal until 1967. He transferred as principal to West Park Elementary School where he remained until 1975. He returned to his first love – teaching – as a 3rd grade teacher at Wilson Elementary School from September 1975 until his retirement on June 30, 1978.
Mr. Brader was a lifetime member of the National Education Association, National Elementary Principals’ Association, and a charter member of the Delaware Elementary Principals’ Association. He served as President of the Delaware Elementary Principals’ Association in 1955. He also served as a lay reader at the Newark United Methodist Church, was a member of the Hiram Lodge of Masons, and a member of the Board of Review for Eagle Scouts of the Boy Scouts of America.
During his career, Mr. Brader helped develop the multi-school Newark District while it was experiencing some of its fastest growth years. His organizing work and strong commitment to the highest standards of teaching helped lay the foundation for the current Christina School District.
In 1989, to honor him for his significant contributions to education in the Newark area, a new elementary school was named after him – Henry M. Brader Elementary School. Mr. Brader was very involved in the life and activities of Brader Elementary School and loved spending time with the children and staff. Over the years, Mr. Brader was a frequent visitor. He greeted both teachers and students at the beginning of each school year, often visited to read to the children, and met with the visitors. He was an integral part of school life. Henry M. Brader Elementary School stands as a lasting memorial to an outstanding educator. Mr. Brader passed away on July 2, 2002.
On June 4, 2003, a Memorial Garden was dedicated in Mr. Brader’s memory. The dedication ceremony, which was attended by members of Mr. Brader’s family, included poetry, letters, and songs from students in first through fourth grade classrooms, a tour of the garden and a tree planting ceremony. The Memorial Garden was rededicated on April 22, 2008 to the memory of Mr. Brader as his legacy continues to inspire others to always aim high in their educational pursuits. The Memorial Garden is located in the upper right-hand corner of the Butterfly Garden and features a bench and a selection of plants that were favorites of Mr. Brader.
Brader Elementary often celebrates Henry M. Brader Day on Mr. Brader’s birthday and recognizes a student from every grade level for Outstanding Reading Achievement. Thanks to Mrs. Brader, a memorial fund was started to honor Mr. Brader’s many years of strong educational leadership and service to children.