Sportsmanship is defined as:
- Playing fair
- Following the rules of the game
- Respecting the judgment of referees and officials
- Treating opponents with respect
How can both students and parents show good sportsmanship?
- Model positive attitudes before, during and after the game
- Emphasize that the point of the competition is for fun, not for winning
- Encourage and cooperate with teammates
- Don't applaud when the other team makes a bad play, and do applaud when they make a good play!
- Don't belittle the umpire or second-guess the coach
- Don't coach from the sidelines. It will only confuse the players.
- If your team loses a game, acknowledge the toughness of the other team.