Christina Adult Programs provide adult programs year-round that prepare community participants to obtain skills, from basic literacy to personal fulfillment courses, and complete a high school education. The Adult Programs serve clients both within the Christina School District as well as throughout New Castle County. The adult education staff consists of a full-time administrator, a curriculum coordinator and more than 100 part-time teachers, counselors, and support staff.
This program is funded by the Delaware Department of Education and the United States Department of Education. Participants’ fees for the classes are the sole funding source of Christina’s Continuing Education Program.
How Does Adult Education Benefit the District and the Community?
- Adults who left school before graduating can resume school and earn a Delaware high school diploma
- Students currently in high school can "catch up" some credits to graduate on time
- Adults, youth, and children can extend or enrich learning through non-credit Continuing Education classes open to all persons in the community
- Parents can increase their own literacy skills and at the same time learn ways to help their children increase literacy readiness for school
- Adults who are speakers of other languages can learn English and learn about their new communities, their new culture, and citizenship skills needed for family and work success
- Adult programs as part of the school district enable the entire family to engage together in learning
- Adult programs become possible alternative options when a learner is struggling to reach a goal
- Adult programs increase the value of the community investment in school facilities by extending their use as learning centers beyond the traditional school hours
- Adult programs provide settings in which members of the community can learn from each other
- Adult programs facilitate a more literate population with enhanced successes in the family, at work, and in school and community involvement
Visit the Christina Adult Programs Website