Christina School District has named longtime educator Dan Shelton as its next superintendent
Dr. Dan Shelton was approved at the June 4 Christina School District’s Board of Education meeting as the next superintendent of schools. The appointment will take effect on July 1. Shelton brings more than 22 years of experience as an educator and administrator, most recently as Superintendent for the Capital School District since 2015.
“Dr. Shelton is an ideal choice. We are fortunate to have such an experienced candidate lead our team,” said Dr. Meredith Griffin, President of the Board of Education. “His enthusiasm and emphasis on student success, building strong community relationships and responsible financial management, fit perfectly with what we hope to accomplish for the future of our district.” This selection raises an already familiar face – Shelton, who grew up in the Newark, Delaware area, and has a family history of commitment to Christina; his parents and grandfather, all graduated from Newark High School. His children currently attend Maclary Elementary School in Newark.
“I am so excited to be coming home to the Christina School District,” said Shelton. “There is a tremendous amount of work to be done to retain, rebuild and restore Christina School District. I look forward to reconnecting with colleagues I have worked with before and building a leadership team that will help guide our students and staff in making Christina a destination district.” Shelton has held many leadership roles within Christina. Early in his career, he worked as an educator in our city schools at Drew-Pyle and Bayard. Later, he served as school leader at Gallaher, Maclary, Christina Early Education Center, Smith, and Kirk. Dr. Dan Shelton has earned several degrees from the University of Delaware, including Bachelor of Science, Masters of Education, and Doctor of Education.
The Superintendent's Cabinet, a leadership team comprised of the district's senior-level administrators, holds weekly meetings to discuss educational, operational, programmatic, and fiscal issues.
- Dan Shelton, Ed.D., Superintendent
- Deirdra Joyner, Ed.D., Deputy Superintendent - Chief Academic Officer
- Chuck Longfellow, Ed.D., Chief Financial Officer
- Paul Walmsley, Ed.D., Senior Director of Human Resources
- Dean Ivory, Senior Director of Teaching & Learning HS
- Paul Dunford, Director of Teaching & Learning MS
- Norman Kennedy, Director of Teaching & Learning ES
- David Wilkie, Director of Teaching & Learning ES
- Rebecca Ryan, Director of Special Services
- Gina Moody, Ed.D., Director of Student Services and Whole Child Support
- Alva Mobley, Public Information Officer & Manager of Communications