How Parents Can Help
- Work with your child's teacher and school to keep the lines of communication open.
- Partner with the teacher to enhance the academic success and social well being of your child.
- Attend parent-teacher meetings and stay informed about your child's academic progress. Discuss with your child's teacher what you can do at home to help your child.
- Talk with your child daily about school. Ask your child what he or she learned that day.
- Review your child's homework each evening, and consult homework websites if available. Be sure that your child completes all of his or her assignments.
Tips to Help Your Child Succeed
- Encourage your child to read
It is the single most important thing you can do to help your child succeed in school.
- Monitor TV viewing and video game playing
Set limits on the amount of time your child spends watching TV and playing video games.
- Encourage your child to use the library
Go to your local library together; obtain a library card for your child.
- Help your child learn to use the Internet safely and effectively
Spend time online with your child.
- Encourage your child to be responsible and to work independently
Help your child choose activities that build his or her knowledge, responsibility and independence.